Thames Valley University
Thames Valley University draws on a heritage of over 140 years in teaching and professional education. First
founded as the Lady Byron School in 1860, the institution as it exists today was originally formed from the merger
of Ealing College of Higher Education, Thames Valley College of Higher Education, the London College of
Music and Queen Charlotte’s College of Health Care Studies. In 1991, this new entity was inaugurated as the Polytechnic of
West London. The following year, the Privy Council bestowed full university status, and TVU was established.
TVU has grown through a number of mergers, including with the Northwick Park School of Nursing, Riverside
College of Nursing and the North West Thames Regional Health Authority’s AIDS Unit in 1994, Berkshire College
of Nursing and Midwifery in 1995 and with Reading College and School of Art and Design in 2004.
From the outset, the University has played and continues to play a significant role in the educational,
cultural and economic life of its region.