Boston University (BU) is a private research university baseed in Boston, Massachusetts. The university has more than 4,000 faculty members and more than 31,000 students, Boston University is among the largest private universities in the United States and one of Boston’s largest employers.
BU is categorized as an RU/VH Research University (very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. In 2009—2010, BU had research expenditures of $407.8 million, or $553 million if the research led by the Medical School faculty at Boston Medical Center is included. BU is a member of the Boston Consortium for Higher Education.
Among its faculty and alumni, BU counts 6 Nobel Prize winners, including Martin Luther King, Jr. (Ph.D. ’55); 22 Pulitzer Prize winners, and numerous Guggenheim and MacArthur fellows.
The university offers bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees, and medical and dental degrees through 18 schools and colleges on two urban campuses. The main campus is situated along the Charles River in Boston’s Fenway-Kenmore and Allston neighborhoods, while the Boston University Medical Campus is in Boston’s South End neighborhood. BU also operates 75 study abroad programs in over 33 cities in over 20 countries and has internship opportunities in 10 different countries (including the United States and abroad).
Colleges and schools at Boston University include:
- College of Fine Arts (CFA)
- College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GRS)
- College of Communication (COM)
- College of Engineering (ENG)
- College of General Studies (CGS)
- College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences (Sargent College) (SAR)
- School of Education (SED)
- Division of Extended Education
- School of Hospitality Administration (SHA)
- School of Law (LAW)
- School of Management (SMG)
- Metropolitan College (MET)
- Boston University Brussels (BUB)
- Boston University Science and Engineering Program (SEP)
- School of Social Work (SSW)
- School of Theology (STH)
- School of Medicine (MED)
- Division of Graduate Medical Sciences (GMS)
- Goldman School of Dental Medicine (SDM)
- School of Public Health (SPH)